Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Donkey

I have asked for a donkey story and was instructed to write my own, and I will, but in my research of what a donkey is and means I stumbled across some interesting facts I thought I would share in the meantime.
Turns out in being dubbed a donkey, more truth was relayed than probably intended. For example:
  • Donkeys are referred to as "beasts of burden," pack animals that can carry 20-30% of their weight on their backs.
  • In the wild, they live completely separated from each other, but develop very loud vocalization to keep in contact with others over wide wide spaces. Their large ears also help to pick up distant sounds making them aware of anything approaching their area.
  • Are quite capable of defending themselves by powerfully kicking with their hind legs and biting or striking with their mouth.
  • In Greek culture they are associated with the "god of wine" yet by the Romans they are considered a suitable sacrificial animal.
  • Their social disposition and adaptation to human companionship allows them to be led without the use of ropes.
  • They are widely known to be comical and stubborn, but research shows them to also be intelligent, cautious, friendly, playful, and eager to learn.
  • Once a person has earned their confidence, they prove to be very willing and dependable.
  • The term "donkey" is also used to refer to an unskilled gambler.
I seem, through this little lesson, to only relate more to the donkey than before! The story of the donkey in the basement will follow soon and tie these last two posts together in an all-too-true fairy tale!

-Terah the Donkey

9 comments:

Melanie said...

LOL...you made that up

terah said...

So did not...found most of it on Wikipedia and a couple of other sites, but all true!

Melanie said...

That is funny stuff.

terah said...

Apropos!

Melanie said...

You should just change your last name to "donkey."

Your WHOLE name = Terah the Donkey

Melanie said...

Hey, you spelled it right this time!

terah said...

I should change my name, haven't thought of that. Thank goodness Simona does not read these things, I am getting brave with my blogging in my circle of people! lol Terah the Donkey is great! Cannot believe all the stuff about them that relates personally to me! My Christmas stationary from Angela is even more apropos! lol :)I must use it continually!

angel2454 said...

hahahahhhashahahhahhahah...... hahahahahhahahaha... Omg I can not tell you how long its been since i laughed that hard! I can not wait for Donkey the story.

terah said...

Glad I and my personality character could bring laughter. :) At least to those who know...lol